Saturday, April 25, 2009

Brandon Continues to Fill His Trophy Case.....

Today was such an awesome day for Brandon! He participated in the Virginia State Tae Kwon Do Invitational Tournament sponsored by the Do Jang where he trains 3-4 hours per week. As you all know he is now a 1st Degree Black Belt and has been training for just over 4 years.

There were a six events available for Brandon to participate in... Board Breaking, Weapons Forms, Forms, Sparring, Chicken Fighting and Korean Wrestling. He chose to participate in all but the Korean Wrestling so it was a very busy day for him. I was asked to be a part of the Tournament Committee and then asked to take the Judge/Referee training and certification course at the Do Jang by his Senior Grand Master. Today, I was helping with the Registration table and Judging during the Breaking competitions for the children and young adult black belts.

Cian, Brandon and Zachary showing off their trophies, Brandon ran out of hands!

Brandon competing in Weapons Form - Small Knife

Brandon Competing in Forms - determination at it's best!

Brandon sparring against Cian
I must say, the Brandon truly never ceases to amaze me! Yes, I am his mom and there of course will always be some bias there, BUT!!! Brandon has practiced and prepared very hard for this tournament. In addition to his homework, Religious Ed class, baseball and normal 4 hours per week of training in class, he added and extra 9 hours in over the last two weeks. Our basement became the training ground with tapped markings on the floor and boards and kicking targets moving all over the place.

Well.... his hard work once again paid off today! Breaking was his first event and he came in 2nd Place. He broke five boards in 4 breaks. Two of the boards were stacked together for one break. His second event was Weapons Forms. HE TOTALLY ROCKED IT! Brandon came in 1st place out of the largest group of 8 which included 3 other students who out ranked him. He was so focused during this event. His face was the ANGRY, DETERMINED face. I of course, was in tears because I was so proud. This was the first time he could compete in this category what a great first attempt! His third event was Chicken Fighting, he placed 4th. His fourth event was Forms. Again, Brandon brought his A game and came in 2nd place!!! Finally was Sparring which he placed 4th in. Brandon was so tired at this point, but he did his absolute best which is all I would ever ask of him. Brandon walked away with 4 trophies and a medal today. Our case is filling up!

Awards Presentation.... Brandon was so SIKED to take the TOP SPOT!




Eddie and Ryan tried to come over to watch Brandon compete but it was very crazy and we had a little issue during breaking so they left and waited for our call to come back for the awards part. Eddie was so upset to miss Brandon doing the Weapons Form after he heard all the comments from other parents about how great Brandon did. But, Daddy got to be there for the best part, to see Brandon being presented with his trophies and he could not have been more proud. Ryan was cheering and clapping really loud for Brandon too. He ran up and gave him a huge hug. Brandon and I finally finished up and walked into the house at close to 2:30pm this afternoon. I am so exhausted I can barely see straight and every ounce of my body aches. These are not complaints by any stretch of the imagination! I would not trade this day for anything in the world! To see my son so confident and poised and ready to take on these challenges is so amazing.

No comments: